Saturday, September 22, 2012

On the other hand…


This and other pages like it make me consider going back and essentially being a beta-tester for Apple (well, that's what it would be…) in my own town.  I wouldn't do it in a town I didn't already know pretty well, or where I wasn't pretty sure I could find an alternate method of figuring out where the heck I was or where the heck I was going.

This is the most comprehensive page on it I've found, but as I mention, there are other pages out there.  Another consideration is that there are other apps out there (Why, oh why, Apple, would you break out a perfectly good unified solution into the need to go and find others?) to fulfill the features that Apple has taken out of iOS 6 Maps (and even one they never put in, but should have).  A list of a couple I'll likely use with iOS 6 is below, but look at what's on the App Store, cuz you may find one that's better for you.

For public transit, Transit ~ Directions with Public Transportation. Note that this requires iOS 6, won't run on any previous version.  You may also want to investigate if there's an app that works better for you, in your particular town.

For bicycling routes (which even the iOS 5 version of the Maps app doesn't have, but Google's provided over the web for years), CycleMap.

For Google Street View, StreetViewerLite.  Note that at least on iOS 5.1.1, it seems to be slower than the Maps app at this feature, but at least it has this feature.

So I'm considering going back up to iOS 6 at some point soon, due to its features and security over iOS 5.1.1.  Haven't yet, but wish me luck!  And of course, as always, realize that your mileage may vary.

No comments: